Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Blessed Mother Teresa

Tonight begins another year of CCD and my14th year of teaching.  It is always exciting meeting the new students and sharing my love of The Catholic Faith with them.  It is also the feast of Blessed Mother Teresa, one of my most admired saints.
Mother Teresa has inspired millions with her extraordinary example of compassion and selfless work for the poor, the ill, and the outcast.  Born Gonxha (Agnes) Bojaxhiu in 1910 in Skopje, now the capital of Macedonia.  In 1928 she said goodbye to her family for the last time, she entered the Loreto Sisters in Dublin to become a nun.  There she chose the name Teresa.  She was assigned to a high school for girls in Calcutta, where she taught history and geography to the daughters of the wealthy.
In 1946 she received "a call within a call" to leave the convent and help the poor while living with them.  So she left the Sisiters of Loretto and went to follow Christ into the slums to serve him among the poorest of the poor.
She started a new order, the Missionaries of the poor, in Calcutta, taking care of the poor and the sick.  Many of her former students joined her order.  In 1979 Mother Teresa received the Nobel Peace prize.  On September 5, 1997, God called her home.  She was beatified on October 19, 2003 by Pope John Paul II.  She needs to have one more miracle done through her intercession to be canonized.
For my treat I have some naan bread, chicken curry, and rice krispy treats (signifying the rice she would have eaten).

4 comments:

  1. So you did decide to make curry! How did it taste? I think this is a good start to your year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked coconut milk and curry paste, then added shredded chicken. It was kinda sweet and not very spicy. Some of the kids liked it and some of then didn't, but they all tried it.

      Delete
  2. I have to tell you Jane that you really have a gift of teaching through food. Both of my girls that have had you so far have learned so much...it really helps them remember. Thanks you for all you do to help us teach our faith to our kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcie I really needed to hear that, I always question myself as to whether or not I am really teaching them something.

      Delete