Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Seder meal







A Seder meal is a Christian Passover. The Catholic Mass is modeled after the Seder Meal. After every Seder Meal I seem to have a better understanding of our mass, so I guess all of the work is worth it. I use a Seder celebration that I got off the Internet several years, it is a very structured celebration. We begin with the symbolic foods and then a meal and close with a blessing.


The symbolic foods are:

4 glasses of grape juice for the 4 promises God gave the Israelites; I will bring you out of Egypt, I will free you from slavery, I will save you by my own hand, and I will take you to be my people and I will be your God.


Parsley representing new life, salt water for their tears.


Matzoh the unleavened bread.


Horseradish (bitter herb) representing the bitterness in Egypt.


Haroset (chopped apples and walnuts with cinnamon and honey) representing the mortar used to make bricks.


Lamb bone representing the passover lamb.


Egg representing the offering brought to the temple. I have deviled eggs instead of boiled eggs because they are less messy.


For our meal we have lamb, mashed potatoes and gravy, noodles, creamed corn and for dessert carrot cake.


Part of the celebration is for the teacher to hide a piece of matzoh representing Jesus being hidden for 3 days. Whoever finds the hidden Matzoh gets a prize. Since I have new students each year I can use the same hiding place every year, which is in the tree with the serpent. The prize this year is jelly belly jelly beans.


The students enjoyed the celebration and did a wonderful job participating. Have a very blessed Easter.









No comments:

Post a Comment