Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Baptism of Jesus


Since the topic for my class tonight is abortion, I thought I would focus my treat on the Baptism of Jesus which will be celebrated this Sunday. I made shortbread cookies in the shape of a shell, a symbol that is used to represent baptism. Sunday is the feast of the Baptism of Jesus, the scene of the baptism of Jesus is the first appearance of the adult Jesus in Matthew's Gospel (and, by the way, the first time Jesus speaks). Matthew's primary interest is not the baptism as such, but the voice from the heavens revealing that Jesus is the Son of God. The voice from heaven isn't directed to those present, but but to those who read this passage. Through the sacrament of baptism, we receive the Holy Spirit and are made sons and daughters of God. Now that is something to think about this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment